Neatness counts. So said our teachers about homework, but it's generally true in the world, too.
That's why we ask everyone -- residential or commercial -- to make and work their own checklists of pre-festival needs. We are grateful for your work under way already. There's 30 days until Hyllningsfest. To get you started:
• Sidewalks: remove unlicensed and unpermitted items, pull weeds out of cracks, power wash if needed, unlicensed items, update/replace worn public seating.
• Windows: wash inside and out, dust and clean surfaces nearby inside and out, refresh displays, open curtains if possible to create a sense of openness and access.
• Signs/flags: replace the worn, tattered or faded of any kind. PS: Do you need a fresh Bethany College support sign? Hyllningsfest is also BC homecoming, and we want to welcome alums and visitors with crisp greetings.
• Pots, planters and flower beds: Weed, remove out-of-season and drooping specimens. If no flowers have been planted in a bed that needs them, organize to get them planted -- soon. Your help is needed.
• Alleys: Weed and police trash. Wash away odors from trash receptacles. Maybe a planter of flowers at the back door?
• Streets: Take a look at the street in front of your property and remove weeds from lightly trafficked areas.
Thanks a bunch, everybody.