• Have you seen DalaTown, Lindsborg's new lifestyle magazine? DalaTown can be found at https://www.dalatown.com -- as well as on social media including Facebook and Twitter.
The multi-talented Garretson family plays the role of editors, videographers, photographers and writers at DalaTown. Their more-is-more aim: add to the flow of background stories, videos and photographs about Lindsborg's seemingly endless cup of interesting people and ideas. If you have story suggestions for DalaTown, do email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• On a Svensk Hyllningsfest note: Chief Tim Berggren asked at the most recent City Council meeting for all of us -- not just businesses -- to declutter, clean and paint outdoors in advance of the festival. It's a biennial deadline for us all, and we hope that everyone will do their part. Thanks, Chief.
• On another festival matter: The Methodist Church *will not be able* to offer a festival lunch this year. Meanwhile, the Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers *will be able* to serve a lunch 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 14, at the Evangelical Covenant Church just a couple blocks off Main Street on Lincoln. The dancers and their families will kindly serve a meal of Swedish-inspired flavors -- lingonberry barbecue pork sandwiches, dill potatoes, Swedish-style coleslaw, beverages, and almond cakes with lingonberries for dessert -- all for $10. Thanks, dancers and families!
• Cheers to Bethany College and its long-time rival, Kansas Wesleyan University. The two have joined together to begin a rivalry competition series. Each will score points in each of the 109 sports that the two institutions sponsor, as well as for community service projects. A name for this competition series is now being selected, and you can vote for your favorite name from Oct. 6 to 10 on either school's athletics department Twitter account. The winning name will be announced prior to Saturday, Oct. 28. On that date, the two football teams will meet in Lindsborg in a 1:30 p.m. game and the men's and women's soccer teams will clash in Salina with matches beginning at 5 and 7 p.m. No matter the name, it's a great move. Thanks, all.
• Reminder: the deadline for nominating work projects for Bethany College's Luther 500 day of community service is 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 6.
• The Ad Hoc group is working toward getting bids for jobs that most businesses need: window washing, power-washing, leaf pickup, sidewalk blowing, snow removal and holiday lighting placement. The number of participating businesses will help determine fees, just as in some of our past advertising cooperatives. If you have an idea for a local bidder or would like consider being a business receiving services as part of a consortium, please contact Mike Dreier at Fuqua Insurance at email@example.com. As always, we thank Mike for helping. More on this as details become available