1. Believe it or not, it's nearing time to restock new resident welcome bags. Although we have 15 in stock, applications for new utility accounts at City Hall are mighty brisk. So please drop off 50 promotional items of your choice to Kathy Richardson at Small World Gallery no later than Thursday, Aug. 16. Please don't make us beg.
2. Fast approaching is the 2018 orientation for new and transferring students at Bethany College. Between Friday, Aug. 17, and Monday, Aug. 20, the college has scheduled for students and their parents a full slate of activities that welcome and introduce them people and traditions, both on campus and across the community. It’s an exciting time for these students and families.
One orientation event is new: the Swede Scavenger Hunt in downtown Lindsborg from 3-5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18. It replaces the Swede Business Expo of years past.
Here’s how this new scavenger hunt will work:
• During the hunt, students will be asked to capture phone snapshots at each of 12 participating locations.
• Specifically, students will be encouraged to generate hammy, fun-filled photographs with owners/staff at each participating location.
• Students will submit their most zany or enthusiastic photograph to Bethany College Student Services, which select the best. The winner will receive the hunt’s grand prize, a $100 certificate toward purchases made in Lindsborg.
• Students can earn extra points by listing the names and photographing BC alumni they encounter during the scavenger hunt.
• Everyone will be invited to use photographs during the scavenger hunt on social media with the hashtag #welcometotheborg
• You needn’t give chits or stamps to students or collect names, just ham it up for their photographs. Photos will be the coin of our realm.
• BC alum Mike Dreier will give an energetic send-off on behalf of us all to students and parents gathered at the BC amphitheater at 3 p.m.
• By the end of this active hunt, we hope there will be discoveries, memories and connections for everyone in a NOT-business-as-usual way.
Everyone in the downtown area, it’s a day to wear Bethany Swede gear, spice it up with Bethany blue and gold inside and outside, mark up your chalkboards and make signs of welcome.
Bethany alums, feel free to stroll in the downtown area during this time.
Businesses and organizations participating:
1.) please prepare props, backdrops or decor that could make great scavenger hunt photos at your location. Create visual potential, then see what fun the students can spin up with you or your staff.
2.) please plan to offer special drawings or gifts of your own, coupons, refreshments, information — and a good sense of humor.
Please thank BC’s Angela Allen and Ashtyn Snider of the orientation planning team at Bethany Student Services for organizing.
12 Bethany Home’s annual ice cream social, 6:30-8:30 p.m. feat. “Silvertones” vocal group; by donation
12-19 Visit to Lindsborg by blogger and international vacation rental advocate Matt Landau
13 No Ad Hoc gathering
14 Special Ad Hoc gathering with possible videography by Matt Landau, 8-9 a.m. city council chambers
17 Community Water Fight, Swensson Park, featuring Lindsborg Volunteer Fire Department, 5:30 p.m., no fee (contact Mike Dreier, Fuqua Agency)
18 NEW EVENT Downtown Scavenger Hunt for new Bethany College students and families, 3-5 p.m.
18 Lindsborg Landmark Concert, “Everyday Lights” at Old Mill Bridge, 8 p.m. no fee (contact Mike Dreier, Fuqua Agency)
20 Bethany College Job Fair, pairing part-time student workers with potential employers, 3-5 p.m. Wallerstedt Learning Center, employers pre-register by Aug. 13, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
23 Community welcome reception for Dr. Luke Rosebraugh and family by Lindsborg Community Hospital, 5-6:30, J.O. Sundstrom Center
25 Bank of Tescott shred event, 9-11 a.m.
25 Downtown Street Dance “Free Range Chicken” from 8-11 p.m, opening performer Sam Unruh from 6:30-7:30, no fee (contact David Hay, First Bank Kansas, and Meg Dauer, American Family Insurance)
25 BBQ Competition and Frisbee Feed to benefit Smoky Valley After Prom; pre-register to compete by Aug. 17, frisbee feed at 6 p.m. $7 per person including sandwich, chips, beans (contact Vonceil Heble vheblecox.net or Roxie Sjogren email@example.com)
3 Labor Day, no Ad Hoc gathering
12 LCH Auxiliary "Meat and Greet” sloppy joe lunch 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Trinity Church
14 Makers Street, 5-8 p.m. Theme: “Petember”
28 Hymn Festival at Bethany College/Lutheran Church Musicians
28-30 Prairie Festival, Salina (often busy in Lindsborg)
29-30 Swedish Genealogy Workshop/Old Mill/all day
30 Bethany Home dinner, silent and live auction with keynote speaker, Sundstrom Center